Kindergarten Counts Launch
JWB has partnered with Pinellas County Schools to distribute more than 6,000 coloring books, pledge flyers, and magnetic photo frames to Pinellas County kindergartners and their parents. A kick-off event was recently held at Skyview Elementary School in Pinellas Park at which coloring books, with messages advocating school attendance, were distributed to kindergarten students.
Early Readers, Future Leaders is focused on ensuring that children are reading on grade-level by third grade, and school attendance is one factor associated with this important milestone. This year’s kindergarten students belong to the graduating class of 2028. In order for them to graduate and walk across the stage in 2028, it is important that they form the habit of good school attendance early on.
JWB created a coloring book titled Every Day Counts in Kidergarten that tells the story of how much is learned in just one week of school. Parents received a pledge sheet with facts and tips that stress the importance of forming good attendance habits early-plus, a magnetic photo frame to remind parents of their pledge to send their child to kindergarten every day. In kindergarten and early elementary, it is the parent that influences a child’s attendance and helps form good attendance habits early. Part of Kindergarten Counts initiative is to offer easy-to-remember tips for parents related to good school attendance that include:
- Know the attendance policy for your child’s school & keep a copy handy.
- Set a regular bed time & morning routine.
- Lay out clothes & pack backpacks the night before.
- Don’t let your child stay home unless he or she is truly sick.
- Develop back-up plans for getting your child to school if something comes up. Call on a neighbor, family member or another parent.
- Avoid scheduling appointments or extended trips for your child when school is in session.